Wednesday, April 05, 2006

 

spare me the cheese

Warning:
This post isn't about politics, religion, or anything of any consequence.

American cheese tastes terrible. No, let me be fair. It has no taste. Not only that, it covers up the flavor of any food served with it.

The other day I stopped at McDonald's and ordered the "two-cheeseburger meal with hamburgers instead of cheeseburgers." Usually this is an easy variation. I've gotten used to the way the package the sandwiches: rather than just putting two hamburgers in the bag (white wrappers) they put in two cheeseburgers (yellow wrappers) with little stickers that say "no cheese" on them. Usually that means they really do have no cheese.

This time they had "no cheese" stickers but the burgers had cheese. I have to be in a certain mood to like the distinctive grease-salt-stale onion taste of the McDonald's hamburger. When I am in that mood, I really don't need the flavor to be muffled by thick plastic-tasting cheese. Normally I would have taken the offending food items back and exchanged them, but I was already halfway to work when I discovered the mistake.

I don't do drive-throughs because I don't really like having to dig in my wallet and drive. I've also had two experiences that confirmed my already negative view. Once I got stuck at a bank drive-through line behind a man who was trying to pass a bad check. He wouldn't proceed and I could have walked in, made my deposit and gone for coffee and doughnuts in the time I sat in my hot car. Another time, I ordered Dr. Pepper on a hot day and they gave me Diet Coke -- not a pleasant substition for a thirsty driver. As I recall I took a big gulp of the drink and spat it out in shock. (I'm not really sure why fast food places even carry diet drinks.)

It'll be a while before I'm in the mood for McDonald's again. I hope by that time I remember to check under the yellow wrappers before I drive off.

Comments:
But no one makes fries like McDonald's...remember when we would get the whole table to order at McClure so we could have fries for lunch...when our only other choices to buy were white or chocolate milk...and maybe ice cream? Another childhood favorite that I stil love are those tiny frozen tacos...mmmmm...I just had some with lemonade and brownies. You're right, american cheese is like plastic-is it better melted as nachos???YUCK.(but I have been known to eat it)
 
When we were kids, my father would buy a big honkin' block of Velveeta. He would put it in the very back of the refrigerator next to the box of Arm&Hammer and we were told,"... not to get into your father's cheese!"
Until I was 14, I thought Velveeta must be a very expensive delicacy.
I once lost 40 pound in 5 months by avoiding all meat and dairy products. The demise of that lifestyle plan came in the form of a cheese and sausage pizza that I devoured like a savage. The body does not respond well to a sudden onslaught of carcass byproduct and dairy. Take heed. (I know I have spelled something wrong or made some kind of grammatical error. Sorry, Dorothy.)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?