Saturday, February 11, 2006

 

happy holidays

When my daughter Ruth was little, she had a friend whose parents were Jehovah’s Witnesses. They were very nice people, God-fearing of course but also very caring and pleasant in their dealings with others.

It was understood that their daughter could not attend birthday parties or various holiday events. Instead, when the mom was out shopping and saw something that she thought Ruth might like, she’d just get it for her.

This year’s Valentine’s Day hype has gotten me thinking. Maybe the Jehovah’s Witnesses have a point. Do we really need to be assigned a certain date to show that we appreciate others? Is Thanksgiving the only time we give thanks, or eat a big meal with our families? Is my husband only special to me on February 14th and chopped liver the rest of the year?

I don’t like doing things in crowds. It’s annoying, expensive and often depressing to celebrate the same way everyone does at the same time everyone alse does. I’m thinking about either ignoring holidays altogether, or marking them on a different date. For instance, maybe I’ll add six months to each date. Then Valentine’s Day would be August 14th, Christmas would fall on June 25th and so on.

Or maybe I’ll just celebrate when I feel like it.


Comments:
the reference to your daughters childhood friend really brings it home. I certainly had never looked at it that way. but birthdays? I think maybe we should hang on to them dont you?
 
I agree that we should let people we care about know we appreciate them every day-or whenever we can, not just on certain days. I also do not like being nice or doing something for someone out of guilt or because it is expected, BUT I LOVE holidays. I have a friend who didn't have time to send out Christmas cards this year so she and her duaghters made valentines to send to everyone instead, and a cousin of ours made a Valentine house one year instead of a gingerbread house for Christmas. So, the unexpected is great-go for it. I could devote my life to holidays if I had a chance...@)->>--
 
Holidays are enjoyable when I am not too exhausted to participate. Working in retail sucks not only for the obvious reasons, but for the way that it robs you of any time or energy to prepare your house or cook something nice or wrap the presents all nice and fancy. Work is bad. I want to start an anti-work movement. Maybe I will start a religion that forbids work.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?