Saturday, January 28, 2006

 

Christian nation indeed

I don't watch "American Idol." In fact the only reality shows I can stand, besides the judge shows, are the ones about family life like "Wife Swap" and "Nanny 911". I have a problem with any scenario deliberately set up to harm or humiliate people. My reaction can be extreme -- when I was a kid I used to cry when Lucille Ball made a fool of herself on TV because I felt badly for her. I'm not claiming that I never find humor in inappropriate situations. Being inappropriate is usually what humor is all about. This is something beyond inappropriate, though. This is just plain mean-spirited.
I'm not the first or the only person to notice that it is a lot easier to sit back and make fun of those who try something and fail than it is to take a chance yourself. Maybe that's what motivates this particular strain of entertainment. It reassures those who have failed through never trying that their choice was one of wisdom rather than laziness. That may also be what is behind this Master P fiasco on the show "Dancing With the Stars". Obviously the man was just looking for some free publicity without putting in any effort. Instead of seeing if he really might have some talent for dance and footwork, he has decided to make a fool of himself and his fans. I mean, this guy is supposed to be a musician of some kind?
But I digress. The point is not whether a washed-up rapper can dance. The point is that the same segment of the population that largely claims to have found the "Truth" through "Jesus Christ Our Lord and Savior" is giving into some of the most un-Christlike impulses ever stirred in mankind. I saw a woman dressed ridiculously at a restaurant last night and I did draw my companion's attention to the outfit. It's fun to judge others. It's just not Christian.
I'm using my own faith as an example because it is dominant here, and because there are those in politics and entertainment who who claim to speak for what they call Christian values. Many of those self-appointed spokespeople are themselves guilty of the traditional sin of pride. It is hubristic to speak for God. Pride is right up there -- ahead of gluttony, luxury and lust -- in the list of big no-nos.
So do we want to be known as a righteous nation, or a self-righteous one?

Comments:
I recently read the latest Jimmy Carter book. He speaks about this very topic. You should read it. "What would Jesus do?" indeed. My mother claims to be a Christian. Whenever she says/does something mean-spirited or is judgemental, I tell her,"That's exactly what Jesus would do!"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?