Wednesday, August 31, 2005

 

what europeans do with fresh vegetables

Eggplant

It has come to my attention that there are still people out there who don't know what to do with eggplant -- a.k.a. melanzana, aubergine, even called berenjena in Spain (or so I'm told).
By the way, "aubergine" is a common color name in fashion and textiles. If you didn't know it was French for eggplant, what color did you think it was describing?

Here's my version of Caponata, a relish served on crusty bread. The original is from a magazine, but I've made changes...

5 Tb olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
9-12 fresh tomatoes, coursely chopped
4 stalks celery, minced (optional)
salt to taste
2 medium eggplants, cubed
20-25 small green olives, halved
2 Tb tiny capers, drained
1 Tb-1/3 cup raspberry vinegar

Heat 2 T of the oil over low heat. Add onions, stirring occasionally until softened (about 10 minutes). Add the garlic in the last few minutes.
While these are cooking, chop the tomatoes and mince the celery very fine.
Add the tomatoes and celery, bring to boil, then simmer for at least 1/2 hour. Salt liberally while it is cooking. You may need to leave it cooking longer to thicken.
While it is cooking, cube the eggplant.
Heat the remaining 3 T oil in a separate pan and brown the eggplant in batches, adding to tomato mix as you go along.
Add olives, capers and vinegar and warm together for a while so flavors can mix.
Serve room temperature or slightly warm on crackers, toast or crusty bread.

Check back soon for a quick and easy cucumber recipe my daughter learned in Poland.

Comments:
Well sure, but all those tomatoes! You suggest 9-12 tomatoes. Are those cherry tomatoes or regular size? I was glad to see that it is a spread for crackers, toast, or crusty bread. Can it be saved for a few days in the fridge or fresh air?
 
Hi. Its me again. what happens if I halve this? can I use 4 tomatoes and 10 small olives? if you dont respond Im going to try it and let you know.
 
Sp, what's the answer? Did it work cut in half? Where's the cucumber recipe from Poland? I used up all my NM vegetables except the zucchini which I am saving to make bread when it cools off a little. I made the yellow squash/corn/pepper mixture again tonight to take to Gail-with Byzantine chicken from White Grass-and Bill;s key lime pie.
 
Hey Anonymous - Key limes are 40 for 1.00 here in AZ. Tiny little things, but yummy.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?